Pages

Friday 20 April 2012

Morning Observations In The Jungle

6:45 am. I feel like Janet found the site of 'The Jungle Book' and landed a lodge it in. Here I am on my little balcony with my feet up, coffee beside me and miles of jungle ahead of me. Oh and my laptop's in my lap, wifi plugged in - "these are the bare necessities...."

The lush, dark green hills in the distance are topped with a layer of grey mist, hurriedly making its way upwards. Between myself and those hills are bright, green bamboo branches and palms, all quivering under the rain that falls steadily. This rain looks like it is here for the day.

Far away, Khmer music can be heard - a woman's voice warbling away faintly. "The village has woken up" says Anna.

The singing lady, the gentle rain on a million leaves, the insects chirping away and Anna's legs shifting in the hammock beside me all accompany my tapping the keyboard... but it feels very quiet.

It would be so peaceful, were not for the overwhelming, burning sensation in my right ankle courtesy of no less than a thousand famished mosquitos that made their way under my mosquito net last night... damn.


No comments:

Post a Comment